Kaubisch Memorial Public Library
What are the details?
- The library is proposing a 1.5 mill continuing levy to support the day-to-day operations of the library.
- If approved, the levy will generate approximately $248,750 annually.
- This is the first time in its 119 year history that the library has asked for a local operating levy.
- All registered voters residing within the city of Fostoria can vote on this issue.
What is the need?
- As demand for library services has increased, state funding has significantly decreased.
- Funding from the state accounts for 88% of the library’s annual revenue. Since 2007 the library lost 24% of its funding from the state.
- Further reductions are expected in the coming years.
What will the levy cost?
- The owner of a $50,000 home will pay $1.91 per month.
- The owner of a $100,000 home will pay $3.83 per month.
- For the cost of a gallon of gas or one DVD rental a month you can continue to use and enjoy all the services offered by the library.
How has the library responded to budget cuts?
- Despite decreased state funding, the library has worked to maintain a balanced budget and operate within anticipated revenue.
- Reduced open hours: from 64 hours per week to 49, including closing on Fridays.
- Reduced staff: from 20 to 15, many employees are part-time.
- Staff members are working fewer hours with reduced benefits.
- The book budget has been reduced 30%.
- The magazine and newspaper budget has been slashed 50%.
- Contracts with outside vendors have been renegotiated to lower costs.
- Staff members have assumed extra duties.
- Volunteers shelve our books.
How will the funds be used?
- As levy revenue becomes available in 2012 the library will be able to partially restore Friday hours with additional hours restored as funds become available.
- Restore purchasing levels of bestsellers, DVD’s and other popular materials.
- Continue technology upgrades.
- Additional funding will provide some much-needed financial stability for the library.
What other benefits will the levy provide?
- The library will be able to join SEO, a consortium of 77 library systems across the state, enabling the library to offer access to additional services:
* Downloadable eBooks, audio books, audio music, and videos.
* A huge collection of CDs, DVDs, and videos.
* More than 5.9 million books and library materials through interlibrary loan.
- Although a grant from the State Library will cover 75% of the initial cost to migrate to SEO, passage of the levy will be necessary to cover costs after migration.
What will happen if the levy does not pass?
- Further reductions in hours of operation, book purchases, and other services would be necessary in order to balance the budget.
- The library will forfeit the 75% grant opportunity to join SEO and match services that are currently offered by other area libraries.
How can I help the library with the levy?
- The library cannot use tax payer funds or staff resources to support the tax issue. Donations may be sent to:
Kaubisch Library Levy Committee
P.O. Box 854
Fostoria, OH 44830
For more information: Please contact Dee Conine, Director at 419-435-2813 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember to Vote on November 8th